Expert Opinion: Should Homework Be Banned In Schools?
This debate has been going on for years and really came to light in the mid 1990’s when elementary students started bring home more homework. Most experts agree that students should be give ten minutes per grade years of homework a night. This means students in the sixth grade sound have no more than sixty minutes of homework a night. But this is not the case, some high school students do upwards of six hours a night on homework, this is triple the time that is recommended for a student that is a senior in high school.
It is the problem of took much homework or is it a problem of assigning useless homework? I do agree that homework does help students learn and retain what they learnt during school that day but I think some of the assignments might not be relevant or teachers rely too much on homework to teach their students. This debate has some good points on both sides of the subject but should we go as far as banning homework all together?
Pros of Doing Homework
- Homework is there to help students learn what they were taught in class and doing homework helps them retain this information.
- Doing homework also helps parents know what their kids are learning in school and this also helps parent identify if their kids are struggling with a subject, which they can address to the teacher.
- Homework teaches the student self-discipline, how to manage their time, and how to do good research, which they will need to know if they want to go to college.
Cons of Doing Homework
- Homework can stress and frustrate students if they don’t know how to do it and it also can take time away from time spent with friends, family, and extracurricular activities.
- Parents and/or other relatives could to the work for the students, which can prevent them from learning.
- Students can be too tired to do their homework after a long day at school or doing homework can keep them up late at night. This means students don’t get enough sleep, which can affect their learning.
After looking at the big picture of whether or not homework should be banned, I’m still open minded on the subject. I do believe that we need reform on how much and what kind of homework we should give our kids but until we have a few concrete studies on the subject, we shouldn’t completely ban something that does help students.
- Employing an algebra solver
- Hints on accounting
- Avoid taking free help
- Using physics answers on web
- Dealing with algebra
- Doing homework fast
- Genetics answers for students
- Organic chemistry hints
- Science solutions
- Test your biology knowledge
- 1st grade math tips
- Biology homework assistance
- Psychology homework tips
- Biology: working individually
- Excelling in chemistry
- Why using homework help?
- Middle school math help
- Math help for little kids
- Chemistry help on web
- Expert math assistance 24/7
- Useful homework tips
- Doing geometry
- Remarkable science answers